essayRight Proofreading and Editing Services aims to help students who have problems with writing in English. How about having another pair of eyes look at what you wrote? Our editors can proofread and edit your work, make it as error-free as possible, may it be a business document, term paper, a personal statement, a dissertation, a doctoral thesis or a journal paper. You write and we improve it.
Why are our rates cheaper? To us, getting our name out there is more important than charging unaffordable editing fees. Considering that a majority of our clientele are university students, frequently facing financial burdens in the form of financial aid or living frugally on student assistantships, we do not want to burden them further with heavy editing costs. However, if students want their thesis or dissertation or journal submission to get accepted, they need to make sure they are written well, grammatically as well as structurally. This means they need professional editorial help.
Just like accountants or mechanics and teachers, editors are also professionals. There is an unrealistic belief that professional editing should only be a couple of hundred dollars. However, neither should it be hundreds of dollars. Both are unreasonable.
Hence, we, at essayRight, charge what is affordable, while at the same time we do not want to undersell our time and effort.
What do our editors do?
Our editors do not just work on your grammar and syntax, they improve the overall quality of your writing. They refine your language and expression by making your presentation sharper, more consistent and clearer.
How do our editors do this?
Editing requires not only a background in English language skills but also a measure of academic intuition—knowing what looks right or wrong on the page—to gain a "feel" for your project's meaning and intention. Therefore, making sure that your writing makes sense requires careful analysis and critical thinking.
An important part of editing is cutting down on wordiness and removing any ambiguity. This may involve
- rewriting sentences and paragraphs to make them clearer, crisper and smoother;
- converting awkward sentences (due to lack of parallelism, mixed construction or unnecessary passive voice) by sticking to the point;
- checking for technical consistency in spelling (American or British English), capitalization, font usage, hyphenation, inconsistent bullet formatting;
- identifying and correcting missing numbers in a numbered sequence/list, incorrect dates and inconsistent use of abbreviations;
As for subject matter, if unsure of what you intend to say, our editors use their common sense and their English language skills to correct; if necessary, they refer to the Internet for relevant information and rewrite the passage. In extreme cases, they leave comments to caution the author(s).
Our editors aim not just to improve your manuscript but also give you feedback which can help you become better when writing your next paper. Usually, our feedback includes our advice/comments and suggestions focusing, for instance, on improving the accuracy of language, flow and overall readability.
Further, our editors frequently
- Draw attention to especially problematic sentences;
- Caution about possible misrepresentation or distortion of your ideas;
- Identify errors in citation techniques;
- Suggest alternate vocabulary;
- Provide advice on re-organizing sentences/paragraphs; and
- Highlight repeated ideas and information that is irrelevant to the essay topic (if any) and advise on how to correct them.
(We will not be advising you on adding new information or removing information. However, we may sometimes comment on lack of consistency in writing or presence of superfluous information. In other words, we do not critique your subject matter)